This sandwich has “eat me” written all over it! It’s a fantastic lunchbox option (but is great for breakfast too!), conveniently packed with plant- based protein and it comes together in just ten minutes. Reprinted with permission from The Vegan Bean Cookbook by Andrea Soranidis, Page Street Publishing Co. 2021. Photo credit: Andrea Soranidis
No-Tuna Chickpea Salad Sandwich [Vegan]
- 1 (15.5-oz [440-g]) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 nori sheet, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely cubed
- 1 small red onion, finely cubed
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) capers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) vegan mayonnaise
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 handful of baby greens or sprouts
- 8 slices of sandwich bread s: 4
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and mash them through with a potato masher or fork. Add in the chopped nori, celery, onion, capers, mustard and mayonnaise, and mix all ingredients until combined.
- Taste the salad and adjust the seasoning by adding a generous pinch (or to taste) of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves, tomato slices and baby greens on top of four bread slices. Divide the chickpea salad on top of the veggies and top them with the remaining slices of bread.
I love capers preserved in dry sea salt rather than brined. In both cases, make sure to rinse them properly and pat them dry before chopping them.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile