I decided it’s time for a healthy and Vegan Mushroom Shawarma/Gyros makeover! I’ve paired it with delicious vegan tzatziki and it came out so good that it’s legit my new favorite dish!
Meaty Mushroom Shawarma With Tzatziki [Vegan]
For the Meaty Mushrooms:
- 18-ounces oyster mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons soy/tamari sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon barbecue spice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash of cinnamon (optional)
- Dash of salt & cayenne pepper
For the Vegan Tzatziki:
- 1 cup coconut yogurt
- 1 cup shredded cucumber, drained (around ¼ cup after draining)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lebanese bread/pita
- Purple cabbage, sliced
- Tomatoes/cucumber, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- First, prepare the mushrooms by pulling them apart into strings (the bigger the strings the chunkier the meat - the mushrooms shrink in size while baking).
- Take the strings with your hands (or place them in a kitchen towel) and drain off any excess water.
- Place the mushrooms strings into a bowl and add all the spices and oil. Mix together with your hands or a spoon.
- Add parchment paper to a baking tin and spread the coated mushrooms on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes (stirring twice).
- In the meantime, prepare the tzatziki by mixing all ingredients together.
- Once the mushrooms are done, assemble your wraps and enjoy!