This delightful dish is packed full of tender onions, juicy mushrooms, and perfectly cooked peas. The vegetables are sautéed with a vibrant blend of Indian spices that gives them an exceptional flavor and on top of all that – this dish is oil-free! This makes a wonderfully savory side dish or main course served over a bed of grains.
Mushroom Matar Sauté [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 8 large White Button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 teaspoon tamari or other low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped plus a few sprigs for garnish
- Water sautée the onion until it's translucent.
- Add the spices, tamari, tamarind paste, and mushrooms and sauté everything until the mushrooms are cooked. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the peas last and let them cook a bit longer until they are thawed and warm but still bright green.
- Add the chopped cilantro and stir it to combine.
- Garnish this with a bit more fresh cilantro.
You can find ingredients like tamarind paste at most Indian or Thai grocery stores.