Potatoes, mushrooms, lentils, vegan cheese shreds, spinach, and bread crumbs all layered up in one delicious dish – that is the beauty of Shepherd's Pie. This warm and cozy bake is everything you want in a comfort meal. It's hearty, filling, and healthy. Since this pie is basically a casserole, simply double or triple the recipe if you want to feed a large group.
Mushroom Lentil Shepherd’s Pie [Vegan]
- 8 large or 10 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Himalayan salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces Cremini or Baby Bella mushrooms
- 2 15-ounce cans of lentils, lightly drained but not rinsed
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine, optional
- 1-2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach or arugula leaves
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs (gluten-free if needed)
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Place in a large saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a small mixing bowl or food processor.
- Stir the vegan butter into the potatoes until melted, then add the almond milk and mash (or pulse if using food processor) until fluffy. Cover and set aside until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
- Add the lentils and their liquid and bring to a gentle simmer. Stir in the optional wine, liquid aminos, thyme, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Combine the cornstarch with just enough water to dissolve in a small container. Stir into the lentil mixture.
- Add the spinach, a little at a time, cooking just until it’s all wilted down. Remove from the heat; taste to adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Lightly oil a casserole dish (medium to large in size), or two deep-dish pie plates. Scatter the breadcrumbs evenly over the bottom. Pour in the lentil mixture, then spread the potatoes evenly down the center or completely cover top of lentils for a more traditional Shepherd's Pie look. If using two pie plates, follow above instructions and divide each mixture evenly between the two dishes.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes begin to turn golden and slightly crusty. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, then cut into wedges to serve.