Ragù is a traditional Italian meat sauce. However, this version replaces the meat with mushrooms and lentils. This flavorful dish is thick, chunky, and so delicious. That being said, the recipe is very simple, you just have to decide what to pour it over!
Mushroom and Lentil Ragù [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mushroom and Lentil Ragù [Vegan]
- 7-ounces black lentils
- 7-ounces pioppini mushrooms
- 1 leek (green section only)
- 1 shallot
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 jar peeled tomatoes
- 1 leaf laurel
- 1 leaf sage
- 1 branch rosemary
- 2 cloves
- Olive oil (as needed)
How to Prepare Mushroom and Lentil Ragù [Vegan]
- Wash and clean the vegetables. Chop the celery, carrots, and shallots and sauté them in two tablespoons of olive oil together with the aromatic herbs and cloves.
- After five minutes add the chopped leek and cook on a low heat.
- Cut the mushrooms into small pieces and place them in a saucepan with two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and garlic.
- Cook for 10 minutes on a low heat adding a little salt, then let them cool and chop them with a knife.
- Wash the lentils and add them to the fried vegetables, add boiling water to cover the lentils of about 1-inch.
- Add half a jar of chopped peeled tomatoes and cook over a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Then add the mushrooms, a little salt and cook the ragù until the lentils are soft but not drained without drying it out too much. Season with salt if necessary.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.