If you are craving sausages but aren't happy with the supermarket options, then this tasty vegan sausage recipe is perfect for you. Made from Portobello mushrooms and textured vegetable protein, these sausages are packed with flavor. You can put it on the grill for a barbecue, have it at home on a lazy Sunday with mashed potatoes and gravy, as a hot dog, or just on its own. And you can even freeze them to save time during the week!
Mushroom and Vegetable Protein Sausages [Vegan]
For the Sausages:
- Sunflower oil
- 1 medium-size onion
- 4 mini Portobello mushrooms
- 7 ounces cooked textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of barbecue seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder/granules
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1/4 cup of water, for the stock cube to dissolve
- 3 teaspoons of tomato purée
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
For the Marinade:
- 3/4 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon tomato purée
For the Other Ingredients:
- Rice paper wraps
- 1 onion, cut into rings
- Salad greens
- Ketchup and mustard (optional)
- Bread rolls or small baguettes
- Start chopping up the onion and the Portobello mushrooms and fry in some sunflower oil. Add the meat free mince to it and all other ingredients and seasonings (dissolve the stock cube in water and add as well) for the filling, apart from the breadcrumbs.
- Fry in a skillet until you get a thick mixture, there shouldn't be much liquid anymore. Set aside and let it cool.
- Once it's cooled, add to a food processor (standard blade setting) and pulse into a paste-like mix. Transfer to a medium-size bowl and add the
- Transfer to a medium-size bowl and add the breadcrumbs. Combine well to get a dough-like mixture.
- The next step is about encasing the filling. If you've ever made Vietnamese spring rolls, this should be easy for you. In a shallow bowl, mix hot water with the soy sauce and tomato purée. Dunk the rice paper into this marinade for about 5-10 seconds until it softens and then put it on a flat surface.
- Spoon the sausage mixture in an even row across the center, leaving some space on the right and left. Now fold over the top and tightly roll it in. Cut off the bottom part of the rice paper to get a clean end. Close the sausage on the right and left by twisting the ends.
- Fry the sausages in a skillet with some oil over medium heat. Make sure you fry it on all sides. During the process it might get air bubbles and turn white in some areas, keep frying until it gets darker in color.
- Serve on a roll or baguette on a large leafy green and fried onion. Top with ketchup and sweet mustard.
- You can even freeze the sausages and fry later. Or, freeze the fried sausages and whenever you get a craving for sausages put them in the oven at 390°F for 10-15 minutes.