There are many ways to make a vegan lasagna. Many want it as similar to a regular lasagna as possible while others want to make it with more vegetables or gluten-free. Here we have a recipe for a delicious lasagna with homemade tomato sauce, mushrooms, and a delicious home-made vegan mozzarella made from cashews.
Mushroom and Eggplant Lasagna With Cashew Mozzarella [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cashew Mozzarella:
- 1 cup of cashew nuts (soaked overnight)
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour (creates consistency)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Tomato Sauce:
- 1/2 finely chopped red chili
- 5 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of thyme (or 1/2 tablespoon dried)
- 1 sprig of oregano (or 1/2 tablespoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- Salt and pepper
For the Filling:
- 15 lasagna plates (make sure they are vegan)
- 1 eggplant
- 8.8 ounces of mushrooms
- 1.7 ounces of cherry tomatoes
- Some fresh basil
- If you forget to soak the cashew nuts overnight, you can also cook them in water for about 5 minutes. Then they also soften.
- Pour cashew nuts and other ingredients for the vegan cheese in a mixer or in a bowl if your using a hand blender. Mix until the cashew nuts begin to mix with the water and the other ingredients. Pour into a saucepan and heat to medium temperature. When it begins to get firm, you stir around at the bottom of the saucepan with wooden spoon. After a few minutes you get t a delicious sticky and cheesy texture. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Finely chop the chili and the garlic cloves. Fry in a medium-sized saucepan with some cooking oil.Add tomato puree, bay leaves, thyme, and oregano. Fry for a few seconds. Then add the apple cider vinegar and allow to boil into the mixture. Then add the crushed tomatoes, sugar and let it simmer.
- Boil the lasagna plates.
- Chop the mushrooms and eggplant and fry until they get a nice golden color.
- Set the oven to 440°F. Assemble the lasagna in an oven-proof form. Start with the tomato sauce. Then the lasagna plates, tomato sauce, the vegan mozarella, eggplant, and mushrooms. Finish with a layer of lasagne plates, tomato sauce, vegan cheese and top it of with cherry tomatoes. Bake in the oven for about 25-35 minutes. Watch it so that it does not burn.