In this recipe, three kinds of mushrooms are sautéed and stuffed into a flaky puff pastry with soft butternut squash and chestnuts. The filling for this wellington can be prepped ahead of time. The longer the filling sits, the richer the flavors get, and the less work you have to do the day you make it.
Mushroom and Chestnut Wellington [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mushroom and Chestnut Wellington [Vegan]
- 2 2/3 cups chesnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 2/3 cups oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1 2/3 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small coquina or butternut squash, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 cup whole cooked chestnuts, cut into rough chunks
- 4 shallots, diced
- 3 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- Fresh sage leaves, cut into small strips.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegan puff pastry, defrosted if frozen
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
How to Prepare Mushroom and Chestnut Wellington [Vegan]
- If cooking the roast on the same day, preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a baking tray.
- In a large saucepan add 1 tbsp of olive oil, heat on a medium heat. Add the diced shallot. Cook for 3 minutes, until the shallots begin to soften. Add the minced garlic, cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped butternut squash. Cook for 7-10 minutes, until it takes on some color.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, stir well, cooking for 5 minutes until the liquid is released. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the mustard.
- Once the mushrooms are softened, add the chestnuts and breadcrumbs. Stir well until the breadcrumbs soften in the mushroom liquid.
- In another small pan, add the other tablespoon of olive oil. Heat on a medium heat, once hot, add the sage, frying lightly for about 1 minute until crispy and fragrant.
- Stir the sage into the mushrooms. At this point, you can transfer the mixture to a container and once cooled, store it covered in the refrigerator until needed.
- If cooking on the same day, lightly flour a work surface and roll out the puff pastry to less than 1/4-inch thick. A thinner pastry will yield a crispier roast.
- Carefully transfer the pastry to the baking tray. Down the middle of the pastry, spoon the filling, making sure not to take too much of the liquid. Pile up the filling into a large log shape, pressing it down with the spoon. Fold the edges of the pastry over the filling, a bit like you are swaddling a baby.
- Brush the top of the pastry with melted vegan butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cut 3 small slashes in the top of the pastry with a sharp knife.
- Bake the roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbling and golden brown on top.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.