If you long for classic mozzarella sticks, you have to give these vegan Mozzarella Sticks with homemade red sauce!!
Mozzarella Sticks With Homemade Red Sauce [Vegan]
For the Mozzarella Sticks:
- 1 block solid vegan cheese
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons vegan egg powder
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- Oil, for frying
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- Salt/Pepper as needed
- Slice your vegan mozzarella block into 1/2-inch thick strips. Try not to make the sticks too thick as it will take longer to melt once fried. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment. Set out 3 large shallow bowls in a row next to your baking sheet. Prepare a large platter covered in paper towels.
- In one of the shallow bowls, add your all-purpose flour.
- In a cup or shallow bowl, combine your water and vegan egg powder removing any clumps. Mixture should be thick, but not overly thick or too watery. Adjust as needed.
- In the last shallow bowl. Combine your panko breadcrumbs, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, and parsley flakes. I ground mine up a little bit to resemble more of the traditional breadcrumb texture.
- Place one of the slices of vegan mozzarella in the flour bowl and lightly coat.
- Dip the flour coated cheese into the egg batter coating the entire stick.
- Place the stick in the final breadcrumb mixture, and use your dry hand to coat fully.
- Place the coated stick onto the baking sheet. Continue the process with all of the vegan mozzarella sticks. Once the sticks are coated, place the entire sheet in the freezer for 1 hour. Try not to exceed this time as it will not cook all the way thru.
- Fill a small pot with tall sides with 1 1/2 inch of canola oil. Heat the pan on medium heat. Once the oil is fully heated test by placing throwing in a piece of Panko. carefully place 2-4 sticks in at a time.
- Let fry for about 1 minute, carefully turning until golden brown. Carefully remove the sticks and place on the paper towel covered platter. Season with sea salt and vegan parm and allow to cool.
- Sauce: combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Serve immediately with your dip of choice.