Hummus seems like one of those straightforward things that doesn’t require a recipe. Think of this as less of a recipe and more of a guide, with a couple tips and tricks to lead you to your best hummus yet.
Moroccan-Style Hummus [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Moroccan-Style Hummus [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup dried chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Heaping 1/2 cup tahini
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cloves garlic + 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 spoonfuls of sultanas and 3-4 apricots, soaked (reserve soaking liquid)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Optional: sliced toasted almonds
How to Prepare Moroccan-Style Hummus [Vegan]
- Soak the chickpeas in cold water overnight. Drain and rinse them the next day, then add to a pot with the baking soda over medium low heat.
- Stir for a few minutes, then add about 5 cups of cold water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium heat, and skim off any foam/skins that float to the top.
- Once they are fully cooked (25-30 minutes), drain and rinse well (the rinsing also helps remove the remaining skins), then add to the bowl of a food processor.
- Bash all the spices together in a mortar and pestle. Saute the garlic in the oil over low heat until soft, then add the spices, reserving 1/4 teaspoon to sprinkle on top.
- Add the garlic/spice mixture, tahini, lemon juice and zest, salt, and reserved soaking liquid to the food processor.
- Let it blend until smooth, adding water by the tablespoon if needed.
- Spoon into a bowl, and top with the sultanas, apricots, a good glug of olive oil and the remaining spices.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 1959 | Carbs: 177 g | Fat: 99 g | Protein: 75 g | Sodium: 1061 mg | Sugar: 36 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.