This roasted eggplant salad is a classic Moldovian treat, full of ripe tomatoes, sharp red onions, and plenty of salt and coarsely ground black pepper. Filled with smoky eggplant, it's perfect for a snack, salad, or anytime! Spread it over some crusty bread or add it to your meal without the bread, and enjoy.
Moldovan Eggplant Salad [Vegan]
- 3 large eggplants or 4-5 baby eggplants
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 of a red onion, finely diced and soaked in cold water for a minute
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly crushed black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 450°F. Or preheat your grill to medium-high.
- Wash and dry your eggplants well. Place them on a baking sheet or roasting pan.
- Poke some holes in the eggplants with a fork to give the steam somewhere to go while they cook.
- Pour some oil on top of the eggplants so that they don't dry up while cooking.
- Place in the oven or on the grill and cook for about 30 minutes, or until they look deflated.
- Place them in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap so that they can "steam". This process will make the removal of the skin much easier. If you have time, let the eggplants cool because it will be easier to handle them while removing the skin.
- Cut off the stem and remove the skin by simply peeling it off. If any flesh pulls away from the eggplant with the skin, just use a knife to scrape it off.
- Drop the cleaned eggplants into a colander and leave to drain for about 10 minutes.
- Place the eggplants on a large cutting board and run your chef's knife through it a couple times. Just rock your knife back and forth to create a paste. Place in a bowl and smash up a bit more with a spoon, just so that it's a consistent "paste".
- Chop up your tomato and onion finely. Add to the eggplant mixture along with salt, pepper, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Spread on some good crispy bread, crackers, or serve alongside your favorite entrée.