This luscious ice cream is smooth, rich, and chocolatey with hints of coffee flavor, chunks of almond and dark chocolate, and ribbons of homemade caramel. Despite all this decadence, it is free from dairy and refined sugars, obtaining it’s perfect sweet, caramel flavor only with dates.
Mocha Caramel Ice Cream With Almonds and Dark Chocolate Chunks [Vegan]
For the ice cream:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts (or sub cashews)
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1/4 cup of cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 shot of espresso
- 1/4 cup of homemade date caramel, plus more for swirling in
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1 pinch of sea salt
For the add-ins:
- 1/3 cup date caramel
- 1/4 cup chopped vegan dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup chopped raw or roasted almonds
- Soak cashews and macadamia nuts for 2 hours in filtered water. Drain and rinse.
- Add all ingredients to your blender (high-speed blenders work best). Blend on high until very smooth. Pour mixture into a container with a lid and place in the fridge for a couple of hours. You could leave it overnight too.
- Pour the chilled mixture through your ice cream maker, following the manufacturers instructions, adding in the optional chocolate, almonds, and extra caramel after about 10 minutes. After about 20 minutes or so, you’ll have soft serve textured ice cream.
- Ice cream is best eaten the same day or next day. It will lose its creamy texture after a couple of days in the freezer.