This delightfully simple recipe for pad Thai will give you your favorite dish without the hassle of having to leave the house or wait for delivery. This dish combines tender bell peppers and carrots with brown rice noodles and tosses them all in a creamy, homemade pad Thai sauce that replaces fish sauce with a bit of miso to give the dish a bold, authentic flavor.
Miso Vegetable Pad Thai [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Noodles:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 3 small carrots, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 1 zucchini, chopped into matchsticks
- 8 ounces brown rice pad Thai noodles
- Chopped peanuts, to garnish
- Chopped green onion, to garnish
- Lime wedges, to garnish
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce (or tamari, if gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegan Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet and add the red pepper.
- Sautée this, over medium heat, for 4-5 minutes, then add in the sliced carrot. Cook this for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in zucchini and sauté for 4-5 more minutes. The vegetable should be tender and a little charred when you're done. Turn off heat.
- While the vegetables are cooking, boil a large pot of water. Add in pad thai noodles and cook them according to the package.
- When you're finished cooking, strain the noodles and add the noodles into the vegetable skillet.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the pad Thai sauce ingredients over low heat. Once all the ingredients are combined and hot, pour the sauce over the noodles and vegetables. Toss everything to coat.
- Sprinkle the noodles with chopped peanuts and sliced green onion. Serve them with an extra lime.