This easy and simple eggplant-based dish is exploding with flavor and color with the vibrant, fiery hue of fresh turmeric, rocket-red smoked paprika, lush green onion, and neon-red Thai chilis. Eggplants are halved and doused in a miso-turmeric glaze, then topped with wicked spicy chickpeas and chopped candied nuts. Serve this as a main dish or as a small plate, and double up on the glaze if you think you want a little extra for drizzlin’, dippin’ or putting on other things. You can never have too much sauce.
Miso-Turmeric Glazed Eggplant With Spicy Chickpeas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup sake
- 2 tablespoons chickpea miso
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 1 tablespoon fresh turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass, chopped
For the Eggplants:
- 2 eggplants, sliced in half and scored
- 1/2 cup fresh chickpeas, cooked, tossed with 1 teaspoon chili flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- A pinch of coarse salt
- 1/4 cup candied-salted nuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chili peppers, sliced wicked thin
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Blend glaze ingredients together until smooth. Apply glaze to eggplants, making sure it gets in between the cracks of the score lines and marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Top with the chickpeas that were tossed with the chili and paprika. Add a pinch of salt.
- Bake for 25 minutes, basting with the glaze halfway through cooking time and again once they come out of the oven.
- Top with the chopped nuts, green onions, and chili peppers. Serve immediately.