This soup is everything: cozy, comforting, healthy, easy, and so delicious. Make it when you feel yourself coming down with a cold. It’s soothing and nourishing.
Miso Soup with Shiitake Mushrooms and Ramen Noodles [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil, plus more if needed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch (2.5 cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 8 ounces (225 g) shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons (64 g) mellow white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 8 cups (1.9 L) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 6 ounces (170 g) instant ramen noodles
- 3 collard leaves or lacinato kale, chiffonade
- Sriracha or hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms, stir, and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes. The mushrooms should give off some of their own liquid, but if the pot seems too dry, add another tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil or a few tablespoons (60 ml) of vegetable broth.
- Add the miso, tamari, and turmeric and stir to coat the mushrooms. Add the vegetable broth, raise the heat to bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the instant ramen noodles and collard leaves and simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes until the noodles are tender.
- Serve with a few dashes of sriracha or hot pepper sauce in each bowl, if desired.
Tip: For a gluten-free option, use 4 ounces (115 g) thin rice noodles instead of ramen.