This miso-glazed eggplant dish has a beautiful simplicity and elegance but don't worry, it's very filling! The eggplant is tender and the sauce, made from tahini, garlic, lemon, and rice vinegar, is fresh and flavorful. Add a sprinkle of sesame seeds for added texture.
Miso-Glazed Eggplant [Vegan]
For the Eggplant:
- 9 ounces eggplant, cut on a diagonal into thick slices
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons white miso
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon apple syrup or maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons lukewarm water
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (white and black)
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- Preheat the oven to 390°F.
- Brush both sides of eggplant slices with oil and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Smear top of eggplant slices with a thin layer of miso paste. Roast for about 20 minutes or until the eggplant is slightly browned.
- To make the tahini sauce, combine all ingredients in the bowl and mix well using whisker. If mixture is too thick, slowly add more water until it reaches the preferred consistency.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven, transfer to a serving plate, drizzle with tahini sauce, scatter with scallions and toasted sesame seeds, and serve.