If you have a massive sweet tooth, you are not going to want to miss this! These mint and chocolate cheesecake brownies combine two of your favorite desserts into one magical fudgy creation. The cheesecake top layer is made using silken tofu and peppermint essential oil.
Mint and Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies [Vegan]
For the Brownie Base:
- 3 flax eggs (3 tablespoons flaxseed meal and 9 tablespoons water)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup soy milk, or favorite type of non-dairy milk
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup sugar or stevia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup and 1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Mint Cheesecake:
- 1/2 flax egg (1/2 tablespoon flaxseed meal and 1 tablespoon water)
- 8 ounces firm silken tofu, pressed to remove as much water as you can
- 3 tablespoons sugar or stevia
- 3 drops pure peppermint essential oil (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon spirulina or 2-3 drops of natural vegan green food dye
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 355°F. Line a 7x11-inch tray with greaseproof paper.
- Begin by making the brownie. Make the flax egg by combining the flaxseed with the water in a small bowl. Leave to sit in the fridge until needed.
- In a double boiler set over medium high heat, add the coconut oil, soy milk, and broken chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in the sugar/stevia, flax egg, and vanilla. Fold through the flour and salt.
- Evenly pour the batter into the lined tin, leaving 1/3 cup in the bowl to swirl through the top.
- Make the cheesecake by making the flax egg the same way as above. Add the tofu, sugar/stevia, and flax egg to a medium bowl. Using hand held beaters, beat together until it's smooth. Add in the peppermint essential oil, being very careful not to add too much! Beat to combine. Add the spirulina or the food dye to the cheesecake and beat to combine. Adding more to increase the color. Lastly stir through the chocolate chips.
- Pour cheesecake over the brownie. Using the remaining brownie batter, dollop small spoonfuls all over the top and with a toothpick or the sharp end of a knife, swirl it into the cheesecake to make a marble effect.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove and leave to cool completely in the tin.