Deliciously refreshing, these tiny veggie wraps are the perfect appetizer or light snack for a hot spring or summer day. They are composed of thinly sliced cucumber filled with grated raw vegetables, and are nicely complemented with an avocado hummus spread. Once you've tried these, you can try changing up the stuffing. Cashew cheese, guacamole, black beans, or chopped tomatoes, would all work just as well!
Mini Veggie Cucumber Wraps With Avocado Hummus [Vegan]
For the Wraps:
- 4 large cucumbers
- 1 small jicama
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, woodsy ends chopped off
- A few radishes
- Micro greens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 of 1 lime, juiced
For the Hummus:
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, packed
- 1 avocado
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
To Make the Hummus:
- Unless using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place the chickpeas in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover by 1-inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, and simmer until chickpeas are tender, about 35 minutes. Drain if needed.
- Place the chickpeas into the bowl of a food processor. Add the parsley, avocado, garlic, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and black pepper, to taste. Process until puréed and smooth, about 1 minute.
To Make the Wraps:
- Fill a large sauté pan with about 1/4-inch filtered water and a couple of pinches of sea salt. Add the asparagus, bring to a boil, and cook, covered, until fork tender but still bright green, about 3-5 minutes depending on thickness. Transfer to a cutting board to cool. Cut asparagus in approximately 2-inch pieces.
- Thinly slice the cucumbers lengthwise using a mandoline until the seeds become visible and discard the core. Sprinkle a little salt on each cucumber slice.
- Grate the jicama and radishes and add to a medium bowl. Drizzle on a little olive oil, the lime juice, and a couple of pinches of salt. Mix well.
- Lay each cucumber slice on a cutting board. Spread about 1 tablespoon of hummus onto its center. Add some jicama, asparagus, radish, and microgreens.
- Roll the wrap and secure with a toothpick. Repeat with the remaining cucumber slices.
- Serve immediately.