No one will ever know that these chickpea burgers are made of beans, unless you tell them. Shallots, chickpeas, tahini, and spices are combined and sautéed to crisp perfection for the most satisfying chickpea burger patty ever! A veggie burger that cooks well is important. These are thinner patties that should be cooked until crisp. Handle them as little as possible, and let them cook well on the first side before flipping. Try a chickpea burger, you'll love it!
Chickpea Burger Patty [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Chickpea Burger Patty [Vegan]
For the Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the Chickpea Burgers:
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, well-drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- About 1/4 cup vegetable oil, for oiling the pan
- 6 pita pockets or buns
How to Prepare Chickpea Burger Patty [Vegan]
- To make the yogurt sauce, place all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir until blended thoroughly.
- To make the burger, lightly mash half of the chickpeas in a medium bowl. Add the dill, shallots, bread crumbs, and lemon juice and mix well.
- In a food processor, combine the remaining chickpeas, tahini, salt, pepper and cumin until smooth. Add to the mashed chickpeas, mix well, and form into six to eight patties.
- Oil a 12-inch skillet over medium heat and cook the burgers until very crispy and dark golden on both sides, about 6 minutes. Don’t flip them too much! Drain on paper towels or brown paper bags on a wire rack.
- Stuff the patties in pita pockets. Drizzle with yogurt sauce.
This recipe is from Mayim’s Vegan Table: More Than 100 Great-Tasting and Healthy Recipes from My Family to Yours by Mayim Bialik with Dr. Jay Gordon. Reprinted courtesy of Da Capo Lifelong Books.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 1085 | Total Carbs: 181 g | Total Fat: 42 g | Total Protein: 39 g | Total Sodium: 2170 g | Total Sugar: 6 g Per Serving: Calories: 181 | Carbs: 30 g | Fat: 7 g | Protein: 7 g | Sodium: 362 mg | Sugar: 1 g Calculation not including vegetable oil used for frying.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.