You will be amazed how easy it is to make daal at home. You just simmer some lentils and spices in a pot, sauté onions in a skillet, then combine the two!
Masoor Daal [Vegan]
- 2 cups red lentils (masoor daal)
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander (cilantro)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons chaat masala powder (see note)
- 1 whole green serrano chile, stem removed and top scored to increase heat, if desired
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- To serve: basmati rice, naan
- Inspect the lentils for any stones and discard them. Place the lentils in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse until the water runs clear. Transfer the lentils to a 4-quart saucepan, add the water, then all the spices and the chile pepper. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once boiling, continue to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the daal is boiling, heat a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the oil and the onions. Cook until the onions begin to brown and caramelize, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add the onions to the pot of simmering daal, being careful as it may spatter. Stir well to combine, cover saucepan, lower heat to a simmer, and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot, with basmati rice and naan if desired, and enjoy!