Add a little Asian flair to your dinner with this savory maple tofu. First, cubes of tofu are marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, maple syrup, ground ginger, sesame oil, and rice vinegar, and then baked in the oven until firm and crispy. The longer you soak, the more flavorful the tofu, so give yourself some time with this one!
Maple Sesame Tofu [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Maple Sesame Tofu [Vegan]
- 1 16-ounce package of tofu
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for greasing the pan.
How to Prepare Maple Sesame Tofu [Vegan]
- Combine maple syrup, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, and black pepper in a mason jar. Cover with lid and shake together until combined. Or combine all ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup and whisk together until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and prepare a large baking sheet with olive oil.
- Drain and dry 1 package of extra firm tofu. Butterfly the tofu by cutting it in half widthwise. Then cut it into strips, and then into cubes.
- Place cubes in shallow dish, cover with marinade and let rest while oven is preheating or up to one hour, if you can, for better results.
- Once the oven is ready, use tongs to transfer tofu cubes to the baking sheet, reserving marinade.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes (once the bottom side of the tofu has become brown and crispy). Remove from oven and, using tongs, flip tofu.
- Pour reserved marinade over the flipped tofu and return to oven for another 12-15 minutes. The longer you cook the tofu, the more firm it will become, so cook until desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve over brown rice or quinoa.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.