Maple-mustard roasted carrots and apples make a decadent side dish or an entire meal. It's the perfect recipe to make during fall and holiday gatherings! Apples and carrots are tossed with maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and aquafaba to create an easy and delicious oil-free recipe.
Maple-Mustard Roasted Carrots and Apples [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup aquafaba* (reserved from chickpeas), or olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 large carrots sliced 1/4" thick on the bias
- 3 large apples cut into 1" pieces
- 1 onion sliced into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 cup pecans toasted
- 15.5 ounce can chickpeas, 1/3 cup liquid (aquafaba) reserved
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside. Don’t skip the parchment paper or the veggies will stick and it will be a mess to clean.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the salt, aquafaba or oil, maple syrup, mustard, garlic and thyme until fully combined. Add the carrots, apples and onions and toss to coat. Put the carrot mixture onto the prepared sheet pan and spread into an even layer.
- Roast the carrot mixture for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until the carrots are tender when pierced with a fork and the honey from the glaze is slightly caramelized. Remove from the oven and toss with toasted pecans, chickpeas and prepared quinoa. Enjoy!