Get all fancy and festive in the kitchen and bake these delicious treats for your family and friends. They're perfect for giving as gifts too!
Maple Leaf Cream Filled Sandwich Cookies [Vegan]
approx. 36 cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/3 cups blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure maple extract
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked and drained)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the cookies, whisk together flour, almond flour, flax, baking powder, starch, and salt in a medium bowl. In a larger bowl, mix coconut milk, maple syrup, and coconut sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and maple extracts until combined.
- Beat in flour mixture in several additions, until just blended. Divide dough into two balls and flatten each ball into a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper or use a silicone baking pads . Roll out one disk of dough on a lightly floured surface until it is about 1/3-inch thick. Cut out cookies with leaf shaped cookie cutters dipped lightly in flour. Place cookies on prepared sheets about 1 inch apart.
- Bake cookies until edges just start to brown, 8-10 minutes. Watch them closely as they can start to burn quickly. Cool cookies on sheets for a few minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Combine the cashews, vanilla, maple syrup, and coconut cream in a blender or food processor and bland until smooth. add the powdered sugar and starch and pulse until combined. Scrape the sides and pulse again to make sure it's all mixed in.
- Spread the backside of one cookie with a spoonful of filling. Top with another cookie, and repeat until all cookies are matched up. You can afford to be fairly generous with the filling and might even have some extras. You can put about 2 teaspoons in each sandwich cookie.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to one week.
- Makes approximately 36 two-inch sandwich cookies.