If you've ever been to Mexico, you may have been lucky enough to try a mangonada. This extremely popular golden-red drink can be found all across the country and is filled with mangoes, layers of chamoy, and Tajin seasoning. It's the perfect balance between sweet, sour, spicy, salty, and umami. And now you can enjoy one in the comfort of your very own home!
For the Mangonada:
- 2 large limes
- 2 lbs frozen mangoes
- 2-3 cups water
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 2 fresh mangoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup chamoy
- 2-4 tbsp Tajin chile powder
- 6 tamarind candy straws, optional
- Prepare the garnishes: de-seed and cube the fresh mangoes, place Tajin in one shallow bowl and add chamoy to another.
- Squeeze both limes into a blender. Then, add in the frozen mango chunks, water, cane sugar, and ice. Blend on high until you achieve a smooth consistency, adding in small amounts of water if you need to.
- Next, rim your glasses by dipping them in the bowl of chamoy followed by Tajin. Add a drizzle of chamoy to the bottom of your glasses and around the sides.
- Divide the frozen mango mixture between glasses, then add more chamoy on top followed by fresh mango cubes.
- Garnish with more chamoy, a sprinkle of Tajin, and tamarind candy straws. Enjoy!