Making ice cream sandwiches is the perfect way to transform and save any quick bread loaf, not sure why I've never thought to do it before. It would work wonderfully with any kind of quick bread – banana bread, carrot cake loaf, lemon loaf, etc. The options are endless! But I highly recommend doing it with this mango zucchini bread because it’s kind of amazing.
Mango Zucchini Bread Ice Cream Sandwiches [Vegan]
- 2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup grated zucchini, packed and drained
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup baking stevia
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup diced mango
- 2 slices of Mango Zucchini Bread
- 1 frozen banana
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp melted coconut oil
- Prepare the flax eggs by whisking together the ground flax and water. Then let refrigerate for 10-15 minutes or until thick and gel-like.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl combine flours, baking powder, and baking soda and mix.
- In a smaller bowl combine the flax egg, zucchini, applesauce, sugar, stevia, vanilla extract, and almond milk and stir.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. Gently fold in the mango.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Transfer the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on a cooling rack. Slice once completely cooled.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for just over a week.
- Blend the frozen banana with the vanilla extract and almond milk to make the ice cream. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Spread the banana ice cream on a slice of mango zucchini bread and top with another slice.
- Place in an freezer safe container and freeze until the the bread is slightly frozen.
- Once frozen, remove from the freezer and slice in half.
- To make the tahini drizzle, mix the tahini, maple syrup, and coconut oil together.
- Drizzle on top of each ice cream sandwich and then place in the freezer for a few minutes until the drizzle has hardened.
To make oat flour simply blend oats until they reach flour consistency. For the zucchini, pack it into a half cup measuring cup and then squeeze it down and pour out the liquid.