Mango sticky rice is a refreshing Thai dessert made with glutinous rice mixed with sweetened coconut milk that is served warm or at room temperature. Traditionally, the rice is formed into a ball and served with mango, but modern versions use a spoon or fork. It’s a wonderful combination of sweet and salty taste with complementing creamy and tangy elements from the coconut cream and mangoes.
Mango Sticky Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 mangoes (preferably Philippine or Thai Mangoes), peeled and sliced
- 1 cup glutinous rice
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Add sticky rice to a bowl or pot and add enough water to cover it entirely. Let soak overnight.
- Prepare a steamer, cover the steamer part with muslin cloth, then spread the sticky rice on top. Place enough boiling water on the bottom part of the steamer, then steam the rice, covered, for 20 minutes or until it turns translucent.
- Heat coconut milk in a pot over medium heat while stirring constantly. Let it simmer for 10 minutes and add the sugar and salt. Remove from heat then pour three-quarters of the coconut milk mixture over sticky rice and let the rice absorb the coconut milk for around 5 minutes.
- Place rice on serving platter then scoop remaining coconut milk on top, place mangoes on the side.