This dairy-free mac and cheese is everything you love about homemade mac and cheese. The sauce is rich, creamy, not too thin, and not too thick; it's just right. The addition of vegetables, especially mushrooms and bell peppers cooked in plenty of spices, amplifies the flavors even more.
Mac and Cheese With Mushrooms, Peppers, and Spinach [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Mac and Cheese:
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cups bell peppers, sliced
- 2 cups Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups fresh spinach or spinach blend
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon your favorite spice blend
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- A few dashes of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free pasta
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Slice up the vegetables and chop the garlic. Heat the olive oil on medium-low in a large non-stick pan.
- Add the seasonings and sauté for 2-3 minutes to release their flavors. Add the garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the rest of the vegetables, one at a time, and sauté for about 5 minutes after each addition (onions, then peppers, etc...) Set aside.
- To make the sauce, melt the vegan butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk the flour and milk together in a small bowl. Stir the milk mixture into the saucepan and add the rest of the ingredients. Turn the heat up a little and cook and stir for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce starts to thicken. Set aside.
- Boil a few quarts of water and cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and stir into the sauteed veggies. Stir in the sauce. Heat on low for a few minutes before serving.