Loaded baked potatoes are amazing, but if you're looking for a more appetizer-friendly version for a party, consider trying out this recipe for loaded smashed potatoes. As the title suggests, this recipe calls on you to smash baby red potatoes which are then drizzled with a bit of oil and baked in the oven. Once their warm on the inside and satisfyingly crispy on the edges, these smashed potatoes are topped with some melty cashew mozzarella, a dollop of zesty Chipotle cream, plenty of chives, and smokey tempeh bacon bits!
Loaded Smashed Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Potatoes:
- 10 baby Red potatoes
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For the Cashew Mozzarella:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the Chipotle Cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the Tempeh Bacon Bits:
- 1 10-ounce package of tempeh
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons red hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
To Make the Potatoes:
- Combine all liquid ingredients for the tempeh bacon in a container with a lid, except for the coconut oil.
- Chop the tempeh into very fine bits and toss it with the marinade. Let sit while the potatoes boil.
- Bring a pot of water to boil with a sprinkle of salt. Boil the potatoes until fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, use a metal spatula or the bottom of a glass to smash them until they are about 1/2-3/4 inch thick. Transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet lined with foil and a small amount of oil. Drizzle the potatoes with 3 tablespoons olive oil and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the cashew mozzarella, chipotle cream, and finish preparing the tempeh bacon bits.
To Make the Cashew Mozzarella:
- Soak the cashews for two hours or overnight to soften. I recommend keeping soaked and drained cashews on hand in your freezer to speed things along. You can also boil them for ten minutes to save on time.
- In a high powered blender, add the soaked cashews and remaining mozzarella ingredients. Blend on high for two minutes until mixture is smooth.
- Transfer to a saucepan on medium high heat and stir until the cheese forms a gooey ball in the center, about 5 minutes.
To Make the Tempeh Bacon Bits:
- After 10-15 minutes of marinating the tempeh bits, melt the coconut oil in skillet over medium heat. Add the marinated tempeh bacon bits to the skillet and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking. You want the tempeh bacon bits to be a bit blackened and sticky. You may have to add a bit more oil or water to deglaze the pan as you go.
To Make the Chipotle Cream:
- Soak the cashews for two hours or overnight, then drain. Add the soaked cashews to a blender with remaining ingredients and blend on high for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and top each one with a spoonful of cashew mozzarella. Bake for another 5 minutes until cheese becomes melty. Finish each Vegan Loaded Smashed Potato with a large dollop of chipotle cream, tempeh bacon bits, and chives.