Lentils' neutral flavor and ability to stay together when cooked make them an ideal ingredient for veggie burger patties. In this recipe, lentils are seasoned with garlic, tamari, and miso and then combined with oats and walnuts for a hearty burger that is sure to satisfy. Go with the classic lettuce, tomato, ketchup combo for this one, or spice it up with some sauerkraut and mustard.
Lentil Walnut Burgers [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Lentil Walnut Burgers [Vegan]
- 2/3 cup uncooked French lentils
- Filtered water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
How to Prepare Lentil Walnut Burgers [Vegan]
- To make the burgers, add the lentils to a pot, and cover them with enough water to have a few inches above the lentils. Bring to a simmer, and cook for about 40 minutes until the lentils are tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan, heat the olive oil and onions, and cook until the onions are softened and tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sautée a minute more until fragrant. Add to a food processor, along with lentils, and all other loaf ingredients. Pulse until everything is blended but not completely smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F degrees, and line a sheet pan with parchment. Shape into 4 burgers and set on the pan. Place in the oven. Bake for 20-30 minutes until set.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.