This lentil vegetable loaf is pure comfort food! A blend of aromatics, spices, lentils, vegetables, and nuts, the ingredients are extremely simple and yet the result striking, little seasoning, and extremely rich flavors. This is perfect for all occasions, from weeknight dinners to potlucks.
Lentil Vegetable Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 of dry lentils (green or black)
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 2/3 cup of gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 2 tablespoons of gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon each of thyme, dried oregano, and basil
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- Olive oil
- Place the lentils in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Let cook under cover for about 20 minutes. Lentils are done when water has been absorbed.Meanwhile mince the onion and celery.
- Meanwhile, mince the onion and celery. Peel the carrot and chop. To a skillet, add olive oil and brown the vegetables over medium heat.
- Preheat oven to 355°F. Put the lentils with the vegetables in the bowl of a blender. Add remaining ingredients. Mix quickly so as to have a thick paste but with still pieces in it.
- Line a 7-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour the dough in and smooth out the top. Bake for about 25 minutes. Wait 10 minutes before unmolding and cutting.