These lentil sloppy joes are a perfect high-protein meal you can enjoy!
Lentil Sloppy Joes [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup water for sautéing
- 1/2 yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 cups cooked red, green, or brown lentils (see notes)
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes (can use fire roasted)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth (optional)
- Warm ¼ cup of water in a large saucepan pan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add red bell pepper and spices, and sauté for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and lentils, stir, and turn heat to medium-high. Add remaining ingredients (including vegetable broth, if using), stir to combine, return heat to low, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve as is, or with your favorite rolls!
NOTES: Red lentils are our favorite lentil for this recipe and you can use canned lentils. To cook your own lentils yielding 3 cups for this recipe: Simmer 1 ¼ cups lentils with 4 cups water for 20 minutes or until softened. Drain any excess water. The optional vegetable broth is suggested if your final mixture is sticking to your pan and needs (or you prefer) additional “sloppiness.”