This stunning lemon drizzle bundt cake is guaranteed to be the prettiest thing on whatever table you bring it to. The rich lemony bundt cake is moist, thick, and goes perfectly with a spot of tea or a cup of black coffee. The zesty lemon glaze and drizzle that are lavished over the top of this confection make it a truly special dessert that is perfect for a special occasion.
Lemon Drizzle Bundt Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free]
For the Cake:
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds plus 9 tablespoons water
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup almond or rice milk
- 1/3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 2/5 cups plus 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 4/5 cups plain, gluten-free flour or self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (omit if using self-raising flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
For the Drizzle:
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/5 cup caster sugar
- 2/5 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Prepare your bundt tin by greasing it and covering the oil with a dusting of flour. Make sure to spread the oil well as you do not want the cake sticking to the tin.
- Prepare the flaxseed and warm water mixture by combining the ground flax seeds with the water in a medium bowl. Mix them briefly.
- Next add the grated lemon zest, milk, vanilla extract, and olive oil. Set this aside.
- In a separate, large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients - the sugar, flour, baking powder (if using), and salt. Mix this well.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix them with a wooden spoon until the mixture is nicely combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared bundt cake tin and place it in the oven.
- Bake it for 65 minutes or until it's golden brown.
- While the cake is baking in the oven, prepare the glaze by combining the sugar and the juice. Set the mixture aside.
- Prepare the drizzle (optional) by putting the lemon juice, zest, and sugar, and 2/5 cup of water in a small saucepan.
- Bring this to the boil over low heat. Let it reduce to about 1/2 the amount. It should be a thin, syrupy consistency.
- Allow the cake to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing it, carefully, from the cake tin.
- Allow it to cool for a further 15-20 minutes before pouring over the drizzle and finishing off the cake with the glaze.