This vegan lemon custard has nothing to envy to its nonvegan counterpart. It's an easy recipe you can whip it up in 5 minutes, it's sweet, light, and doesn't contain any eggs or dairy. It can be eaten as a custard dessert on its own, poured on some fresh fruit, or used for cakes, pastries, pies, and fruit tarts.
Lemon Custard [Vegan]
- 4 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 8 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- In a saucepan off of the heat, whisk together the milk, cornstarch, sugar, turmeric until well combined.
- Set the saucepan over low heat and bring to a simmer while whisking continuously. Let boil gently for at least 1 minute to cook the starch
- Keep stirring fast and vigorously to avoid any lumps. Stop when you reach your desired consistency.
- Add your flavoring ingredient (lemon zest, vanilla extract, or both). If you use lemon zest make sure to only use the yellow part of the lemon and not the white flesh under the skin. That part is bitter.
- Let the custard cool at room temperature. Whisk occasionally to prevent the formation of skin on the surface. If you want to cool it down faster, you can submerge the pan in cold water while whisking until the custard is cold.