It’s hard to make a bake that doesn’t require any eggs or cheese as a binder, but this lemony chickpea bake is completely vegan. In this delicious dish, tahini holds the bake together, which not only adds some flavor, but some protein as well. And, in addition to being incredibly flavorful and full of plant-based proteins, this dish is made in one pan, which makes cleanup a breeze. Also, if you’re looking to impress your guests, top this dish with a few basil leaves and a lemon slice to make it look as fancy as it tastes!
High Protein Lemon Chickpea Bake [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large russet potato, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup tahini
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet on medium-low. Add onions and potatoes, and cook 6–8 minutes until onions are translucent and potatoes begin to soften.
- Remove from heat and mix in chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and zest, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper until well combined. Transfer to the oven and bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Top with basil, and serve.