If you love fresh vegan recipes and all things soup, you’re going to be head over heels for this vegan Lasagna Soup!! Creating a lasagna for the holidays can take long and the lasagna usually loses it’s quality within days. Soups on the other hand are typically easy, more nutrient dense, and taste just as good, if not better, days after you make it because the flavors marry more. What’s fab about this vegan lasagna soup, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, and features staple ingredients. The tomatoes, rich cashew cream sauce, and a hint of spice perfectly mirrors the traditional. Such a perfect recipe for the winter months, as it can easily be made in bulk!
Lasagna Soup with Cashew Cream [Vegan]
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles, broken in half pieces (about 10 noodles)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, plus thinly sliced leaves for topping
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt/Pepper as needed
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles, 2 teaspoons salt, and cook as the label directs. Drain; drizzle with olive oil and toss.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped yellow onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and oregano and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until garlic is golden,
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until darkened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes; cover and bring to a simmer. Uncover and cook until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Add the soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, almond milk, salt, and pepper to a high power blender. Blend until smooth. Add additional almond milk if needed. Add to the pot with the tomato sauce.
- Stir in the cooked noodles, fresh basil, and simmer 2 more minutes.
- Divide the soup among bowls. Top with vegan parmesan and sliced basil.
If you don't have time to soak cashews overnight, simply pop in the microwave or let soak in boiling water until softened.