I was in cannoli mode for a while, making both baked and fried cannolis. Why not combine these ideas to try to make a savory one?! You can use plain ol' sauerkraut or you can make your own authentic rotkohl, sweet/sour red cabbage. I usually cook mine in the slow cooker for about 6 hours. I add two chai tea bags and a few peppercorns too. Stuff these babies with your choice of sauerkraut and/or mustard - have yourself a German feast!
Kraut-Stuffed Pretzel Cannoli [Vegan]
Bread Machine Ingredients:
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. lager, like Yuengling, room temperature
- 1/4 c. organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 1/2 c. organic white flour, more as needed
- 2 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
- 7 c. water
- 1/2 c. baking soda
- 2 T. organic cane sugar
- 1 T. water
- Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
- metal cannoli forms
Directions for the Bread Machine:
- Load your bread machine as directed by the manufacturer. (For mine, I’m supposed to load it with the liquid ingredients first, then dry, followed by the flour and yeast last. I listed the ingredients in the order that I would put them in.)
- Once it’s loaded, plug it in and set it to the “dough” setting. Sit back and relax!
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a cookie sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper.
- When the dough is done, remove it from the bread machine and transfer it to a well-floured surface. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces.
- Flatten each ball of dough into a disk. Cut the disc in a circular pattern with a pizza cutter. Carefully wrap the ribbon of dough around a greased cannoli form. Repeat with the other pieces of dough. Once they are wrapped, cover the forms with a towel and let them rest/rise for 10-20 minutes.*
- In the mean time, bring the 7 c. of water and baking soda to a boil.
- Using tongs, gently dip the first cannoli into the boiling water; boil it for 1 minute and flip. Boil for 1 more minute and remove from the pot, placing it on a clean dish towel to remove excess water. Repeat with each piece of remaining dough.
- Move the boiled pretzels back to the prepared cookie sheet. In a small cup, combine the sugar and 1 T. of water. Using a brush, gently brush each pretzel with the sugar glaze. Sprinkle each pretzel with sea salt.
- Bake the pretzels for 25-30 minutes.
*I tried making these look like traditional cannolis, but they were awfully ugly. The ribbon-wrap method looks much more appetizing.