You have NEVER had cauliflower this good before! Braised cauliflower is an incredibly delicious dish made by braising cauliflower florets with red onion in a wonderfully savory tomato sauce. With basically just five ingredients and about 45 minutes, you can enjoy one of the simplest, most wonderful dishes in all of traditional Greek cuisine.
Kounoupithi Kapama: Greek Braised Cauliflower [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup good quality Greek olive oil
- 3-4 cups of cauliflower florets (approximately 1 pound of florets or a 1 3-pound head of cauliflower)
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a 3-quart saucepan with lid, heat olive oil on low. Add cauliflower florets, head down, to the pan and cook approximately 5-6 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add chopped red onion and stir gently. Cook 5 minutes until onions are almost translucent and add water with dissolved tomato paste, salt/pepper, bay leaves, and cinnamon stick. Bring up to a low boil.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes then uncover, stir gently, add chopped mint, re-cover, and cook for additional 10 minutes. Test for doneness (cauliflower should now be fork-tender) and cook for 10 more minutes uncovered to boil off a bit of the liquid.
- Allow dish to rest, off the heat, for about 10 minutes and serve.