Hubby was getting really tired of all the raw zucchini I’ve been serving him. Even though I love zucchini noodles and raw slices as chips, hubby wasn’t even wanting a few slices in his salad. Uh oh! The garden was still producing. What’s a good wife to do? When hubby is Greek, the answer is easy; make Kolokithia! This is a healthier, vegan version of the traditional Greek zucchini dish. Hubby is happy and I am too. If you have tons of zucchini, make a double batch so you’ll have leftovers.
Kolokithia: Traditional Greek Zucchini [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 large zucchini
- 6 large, organic tomatoes
- 2 organic green onions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp crushed Greek oregano
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of your favorite gluten-free vegan meat (optional)
- Slice squash into ¼” pieces and chop tomatoes. Set aside.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat and add onion and garlic. Simmer until slightly brown. Add oregano, salt, pepper, squash and tomatoes. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat and stir occasionally until squash softens.
- Add faux meat (optional, but nice to add if you’re making this your full meal) and simmer for a few more minutes.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile