These burgers are tasty and hold together perfectly. I didn't add a lot of spices to the burgers so go crazy with the toppings. We had them with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and topped with sautéed mushrooms and Mississippi Comeback Sauce! Here’s to perfect burger making!
Kidney Bean-Walnut Burgers With Mississippi Comeback Sauce [Vegan]
- 15 oz. canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, shredded and squeezed dry
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, or to taste
- 1 Tbs. vegan, gluten-free Worcestershire sauce or tamari
- ½ cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 Tbs. safflower oil
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs. chili sauce, hot sauce or Sriracha, or more to taste
- 1 Tbsp. vegan, gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Smash beans in a bowl with a fork until slightly chunky. Add the onion, carrot, scallions, walnuts, parsley, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce and mix well until all the ingredients are incorporated. Add the bread crumbs little by little while mixing with your hands until you have the desired consistency. The mixture should feel firm and stick together well. Refrigerate the whole mixture in the bowl for at least 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to cook, remove the mixture from the fridge and form the mixture into 4 patties. Using a 3 ½” cookie cutter makes the perfect sized, dense and thick burger patty.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook until browned on each side. Each side may need about 5 minutes. You may need to flip the burgers carefully several times to ensure the inside gets cooked while the outside doesn’t burn.
- Serve on buns with your favorite toppings or on a bed of greens topped with sautéed mushrooms. Enjoy!
- Put all ingredients into a food processor and mix until smooth. Refrigerate in a covered container until ready to use. Use as a burger topping or a salad dressing. Yum!