You do not have to give up on amazing burgers just because you decide to eat vegan. Not at all. This one will satisfy even the most picky meat eater on the hunt for his (or her!) burger fix.
Kidney Bean and Tofu Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 2 cans of kidney beans, well rinsed
- 1/2 standard or one small package of firm tofu (5 ounces), chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats, soaked for ten minutes
- In a pan on medium heat, add half of the olive oil, the red onion and garlic and fry for a minute while stirring until onions are soft.
- Add the rinsed kidney beans, the chopped tofu, the cumin powder and the salt and fry for another two to three minutes, frequently stirring.
- Move the bean mix over to a bowl and add the soaked oats. Using a hand blender, mix it into a firm dough. Add a little water and olive oil to get the right consistency for shaping the mixture into patties (easiest done by using your hands).
- Bring the pan back to the stove on medium heat, add the rest of the olive oil, and fry the burgers for a couple of minutes on each side. Serve with burger bread and your favorite burger condiments.