Khichari is a delicious and very digestible Indian one-pot meal that mainly consists of rice, vegetables, and lentils. This protein-rich Ayurveda recipe is easy to prepare and also very healthy.
Ingredients You Need for Khichari [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or another neutral oil like rapeseed oil)
- 1.5 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida
- Ginger, 1 thumb-sized piece
- optional: 1 chili cut into fine rings or some chili powder (amount depending on the desired spiciness)
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- some fresh black pepper
- 5 cups of water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of yellow lentils (moong dal)
- ½ cup (basmati) rice
- 1-2 cups of chopped vegetables that you have at home. e.g. broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, pumpkin, some tomato, celery stalk, spinach …
- If you like: fresh coriander, (coconut) yogurt, some soy sauce and / or Tabasco
How to Prepare Khichari [Vegan]
- Wash the lentils and rice (you can do that in a colander at the same time) until the water is quite clear.
- Peel the ginger and grate it finely.
- Now prepare the vegetables: wash them, peel them if necessary, and cut them into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry the whole spices (cumin, fenugreek, and mustard seeds) and the pinch of asafoetida for about half a minute.
- Be careful not to burn them.
- Add ginger, chili, turmeric, and pepper. Stir and sauté for a few seconds. If you are using tomatoes for your khichari, add them now and fry them as well, for about two minutes.
- Now add rice, lentils, vegetables (if you use some spinach: add it towards the end of the cooking time), water and salt.
- Stir and simmer on low heat for about 35 minutes. Check in between and stir so that nothing burns. The consistency of your khichari shall be like porridge.
- If you like, cut fresh coriander and add it at the end of the cooking time.
- Sometimes I like to serve (coconut) yogurt with khichari. And definitely some soy sauce and sometimes Tabasco as well.
You can replace a part of the water with vegetable broth, but then use less salt. Kitchari thickens very quickly: add some water when you reheat it.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.