The taste of this key lime pie ice cream is exactly like you're digging into the frozen version of key lime pie. The avocado is completely undetectable — all it does is give you a deliciously creamy ice cream texture that's the perfect partner for the crunchy graham cracker cookie crumble and the sticky vegan condensed milk. This recipe serves one, so you don't have to (and won't want to) share.
Key Lime Pie Avocado Ice Cream [Vegan]
For the Condensed Milk:
- 1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk powder
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cookie Crust:
- 3.53 ounces vegan graham crackers
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the Ice Cream:
- 14 ounces vegan condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons key lime zest
- 2 medium avocados
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
To Make the Condensed Milk:
- In a blender place the non-dairy milk powder, sugar, and salt. Blend until perfectly combined.
- To the boiling water add the coconut oil and the vanilla extract. Mix with a fork until combined. Add this mixture to the blender and blend for 2 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Set aside. It yields approximately 14 ounces and you will use all of it.
To Make the Cookie Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the graham crackers in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until ground into evenly sized crumbs. Or, place them in a zip-top bag and pulverize them with a rolling pin until finely crushed.
- Place the crumbs in a medium mixing bowl. Drizzle in the melted coconut oil and mix with a fork until the crumbs are evenly moistened. Add the sugar and salt and mix until combined.
- Transfer the cookie crumbs to the baking sheet and spread them into a single layer. Bake for 5 minutes, remove from the oven and mix them around, return to the oven and bake for 5 more minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To Make the Ice Cream:
- In a medium bowl, whisk the vegan condensed milk, key lime zest, and avocados. Or, If you want a smoother texture, blend the ingredients. Add the lime juice and salt. Whisk until smooth and thick.
- Pour 1/3 of the ice cream into an airtight container. Scoop 1/3 of the cookie crust and sprinkle over the ice cream. Repeat with the second 1/3 of ice cream and another 1/3 of the cookie crust. Add the final layer of ice cream and cookie crust. Cover and freeze for at least 6 hours, or until firm.