This kale pesto pasta casserole is filling, delicious, and so easy to make! It has an especially savory, umami twist thanks to the addition of sun-dried tomatoes and olives. I also sautéed thin strips of eggplant in a bit of olive oil and mixed it all together with the pesto. An absolutely lovely highlight is the crust, which is made of gluten-free bread crumbs mixed with olive oil and garlic. It's crunchy, hearty, and perfect!
Comforting Kale Pesto Pasta Casserole [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Comforting Kale Pesto Pasta Casserole [Vegan]
For the Kale Pesto:
- About 2 cups of kale
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- Salt, pepper
For the Pasta Casserole:
- 8 ounces gluten-free pasta
- 1 recipe kale pesto (see above)
- 1 handful of chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped olives
- 1 eggplant
- 2 handfuls of gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 clove of garlic
- Olive oil
How to Prepare Comforting Kale Pesto Pasta Casserole [Vegan]
To Make the Pesto:
- Wash and chop the kale. Transfer to the bowl of a blender.
- Lightly toast the pine nuts. This will help give the pesto a more intense flavor. Let cool a bit, then add to the kale.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
To Make the Casserole:
- Preheat your oven to 390°F.
- Wash the eggplant and cut it into thin slices. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and add the eggplant slices. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until the eggplant begins to soften.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- In the meantime, chop the olives and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Mix the cooked pasta, sautéed eggplant, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and kale pesto in a large bowl. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs with a tablespoon of olive oil and one crushed clove of garlic. Spread mixture over the kale pasta.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
An absolutely lovely highlight is the crust, made of gluten-free bread crumbs mixed with olive oil and garlic. It's crunchy, hearty, and perfect!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 2106 | Total Carbs: 294 g | Total Fat: 98 g | Total Protein: 35 g | Total Sodium: 1132 g | Total Sugar: 27 g Per Serving: Calories: 702 | Carbs: 98 g | Fat: 33 g | Protein: 12 g | Sodium: 377 mg | Sugar: 9 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.