This kale pesto pasta casserole is filling, delicious, and so easy to make! It has an especially savory, umami twist thanks to the addition of sun-dried tomatoes and olives. I also sautéed thin strips of eggplant in a bit of olive oil and mixed it all together with the pesto. An absolutely lovely highlight is the crust, which is made of gluten-free bread crumbs mixed with olive oil and garlic. It's crunchy, hearty, and perfect!
Comforting Kale Pesto Pasta Casserole [Vegan]
For the Kale Pesto:
- About 2 cups of kale
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- Salt, pepper
For the Pasta Casserole:
- 8 ounces gluten-free pasta
- 1 recipe kale pesto (see above)
- 1 handful of chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped olives
- 1 eggplant
- 2 handfuls of gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 clove of garlic
- Olive oil
To Make the Pesto:
- Wash and chop the kale. Transfer to the bowl of a blender.
- Lightly toast the pine nuts. This will help give the pesto a more intense flavor. Let cool a bit, then add to the kale.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
To Make the Casserole:
- Preheat your oven to 390°F.
- Wash the eggplant and cut it into thin slices. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and add the eggplant slices. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until the eggplant begins to soften.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- In the meantime, chop the olives and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Mix the cooked pasta, sautéed eggplant, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and kale pesto in a large bowl. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs with a tablespoon of olive oil and one crushed clove of garlic. Spread mixture over the kale pasta.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
An absolutely lovely highlight is the crust, made of gluten-free bread crumbs mixed with olive oil and garlic. It's crunchy, hearty, and perfect!