This easy recipe is perfect for lunch because it's compact and filled with the fuel you need to get you through the day. The tender sweet potatoes are stuffed with sautéed kale, toasted almonds, and quinoa.
Kale and Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1/2 cup dry red quinoa
- 1 package or 3 large handful kale
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of slivered almonds
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Pierce each sweet potato with a fork several times, and place them directly on the middle wire rack in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- While the potatoes are baking, add 1 cup of water or vegetable broth and the 1/2 cup of quinoa to a small saucepan and bring it to a boil (covered).
- Once the quinoa is boiling, reduce it to a simmer and allow it to cook until all of the water is absorbed. Fluff it with a fork and set it to the side.
- In a large pan, add a splash of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the kale, sea salt, and pepper, and sauté them over medium heat until the kale is tender.
- Halfway through cooking the kale, add the almonds to the pan and sauté them with the kale. They should be lightly browned.
- Pour the quinoa into the pan with the kale and almonds and combine.
- Cut a vertical slice into each sweet potato and squeeze them open.
- Stuff the sweet potato with the kale and quinoa mixture.
- Top this with an additional sprinkle of sea salt and pepper.