To keep things simple we've just used one tin of young jackfruit (in water – not syrup!) marinated in jerk spice and cooked with red kidney beans, roasted a sweet potato and created a simple lime mayonnaise to set it all off. And not to forget the crunchy little gem lettuce.
Jerk Jackfruit Wraps [Vegan]
- 1 large sweet potato - peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 tin of young jackfruit in water - drained and rinsed
- 2-3 teaspoons of jerk seasoning
- 1 tin of kidney beans
- 1 little gem lettuce - roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons of vegan mayo
- Juice of 1 lime
- 6 roti (paratha roti also work)
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat your oven to gas mark 360ºF.
- Toss the sweet potato wedges in a good glug of olive oil with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Put the wedges on a baking tray and chuck in the oven for 15-20 minutes - turn them halfway through.
- While the wedges are in the oven, toss the jackfruit in 2 teaspoons of jerk seasoning.
- Heat up 1 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan to a low-medium heat.
- Add the jackfruit to the pan and cook for around 5 minutes, giving it the occasional stir.
- Once the 5 minutes is up, grab a couple of forks and gently pull apart the jackfruit until it's shredded - if it's a bit tough still, give it a couple more minutes to soften up before you pull it.
- Add the kidney beans to the jackfruit and gently heat for a couple of minutes while stirring.
- Give it a quick taste and add more jerk seasoning or salt if needed.
- In a bowl mix the mayo with the juice of half the lime and a good helping of black pepper - give it a taste and add more lime juice if necessary.
- When everything is ready, you can start putting the wraps together - add a good dollop of mayo, a couple of sweet potato wedges, 1/6 of the jackfruit mix and a handful of lettuce to each roti and wrap them up like a burrito.
- Get stuck in! Your jerk jackfruit wraps are done. Everything will last a couple of days in the fridge too - there's only two of us and we have this over a few days during the week.