Try this vegan version of Japanese breakfast rice porridge with some healthy tweaks. It’s like eating sushi for breakfast, but in the form of comforting porridge bowl.
Japanese Breakfast Porridge Bowl [Vegan]
- 20g (0.7oz) round brown rice (dry)
- 20g (0.7oz) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (about 25g, 0.9oz) chopped leek
- 1 nori sheet, shredded
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 of a small avocado (about 20g, 0.7oz)
- 20g (0.7oz) of firm or hard tofu
- Water for desired consistency
- Start by soaking brown rice overnight. Rinse and drain.
- In the morning, when you start to make the porridge, put rolled oats into a small bowl and add just enough warm water to cover them. Set aside. Shred the nori sheets – you can either tear it with your hands or cut with scissors.
- Next, in a small saucepan, simmer soaked rice and chopped leek in water (enough to cover all ingredients) until the rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat. Then, mix in soaked rolled oats and add boiled water of necessary.
- Then, mix miso paste with some water and mix it into the porridge along with shredded nori sheet and nutritional yeast. Again, add more water if necessary.
- Finally, garnish with some more miso and water mixture, avocado slices, tofu pieces, paprika powder and sesame seeds.
If you’re used to adding ground flaxseeds into your morning porridge, you’re free to mix them into your Japanese breakfast porridge as well!