If you love the flavors of Jamaican Jerk, then you’ll surely love these delicious Vegan Jamaican Jerk Walnut Tacos, made with a flavorful walnut mixture, homemade jerk seasoning, roasted veggies, pineapple chunks, and an easy lime sauce. These little tacos have so much flavor and are a great meatless alternative for lunch or dinner.
Jamaican Jerk Walnut Tacos [Vegan]
For the Vegan Walnut 'Meat':
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2-3 tablespoons organic tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons organic vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1 tablespoon Jerk seasoning, homemade or store-bought
- 2 teaspoons vegan soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon browning, optional (See Notes!)
Homemade Jerk Seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
For the Tacos:
- Soft flour or corn tortillas, any size and charred (See Notes!)
- 2 cups roasted herb tomatoes
- Roasted poblano peppers, chopped
- Pineapple chunks, roasted or charred
To Roast the Vegetables:
- Be sure to roast your veggies in the oven at this point.
Soak the Walnuts:
- In a bowl, add the chopped walnuts and cover it with boiling hot water, letting it soak for 10-15 minutes so that they soften a bit.
- Drain and rinse.
To Make the Jerk Seasoning:
- In a bowl, add together the onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, thyme, brown sugar, allspice, parsley, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and cumin, stirring until combined. Set aside.
To Make the Walnut Taco "Meat":
- Add the walnuts and garlic cloves into a food processor and process until combined and broken down---resembling "meat-like crumbles".
- In a medium skillet (10-inch or so) over medium-high heat, add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Once heated, add the processed walnut along with tomato paste, 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning, soy sauce, lemon juice, veggie stock, and browning (if using)---stirring until combined and the "meat" mixture looks brown in color and is moistened. Let cook for 2-3 minutes.
To Char or Warm the Tortillas:
- To lightly toast taco tortillas, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place tortillas directly on rack. Turn off oven once heated and let tortillas warm for 2 minutes. Remove from oven. For char on a stovetop, pop one of the tortillas unto a gas burner until you begin to see a little smoke. Remove tortilla to rotate it onto opposite side until it’s lightly charred. Repeat until all tortillas are charred.
To Make the Easy Lime Sauce:
- Mix together the freshly-squeezed lime juice, vegan mayonnaise, and parsley in a bowl until combined and smooth.
To Assemble the Tacos:
- To assemble tacos, add 1-2 Tbsps walnut "meat" atop a charred tortilla followed by: roasted herb tomatoes, roasted poblano peppers, pineapple chunks, and the Lime sauce. Repeat until desired amount of tacos are made.
- Bon Appetit!
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile