Corn dogs are one of those classic comfort foods that many of us grew up with. These meat-free jalapeño corn dogs capture their essence perfectly. They're perfectly crisp and spicy on the outside and paired with a spicy vegan mayo for even more heat. If you want to serve them as appetizers, try cutting the veggie dogs into smaller slices before battering and frying.
Jalapeño Corn Dogs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Corn Dogs:
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic and onion powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 jalapeño, sliced, or more for more spice
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 4 vegan hot dogs
- 2 quarts of vegetable oil, for frying
- Wooden skewers
For the Spicy Mayo:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 3 chilis in adobo sauce
- A squeeze of fresh lime juice
- In a medium or large pot, add the oil. Turn heat to medium and heat oil to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, seasonings, and salt. Then add the almond milk and jalapeños (or maple syrup if using that). Stir until combined. Batter should be a little thicker than pancake batter.
- Remove vegan hot dogs from package. Wipe them all dry with a paper towel. This will help the batter stick to them better. Insert one skewer or wooden stick into each hot dog.
- Pour the batter into a tall drinking glass. Holding by the skewer, take one hot dog and dunk it into the batter, coating all of the hot dog. Slowly remove from batter and let a little excess batter drip back into the cup. Immediately place it into the hot oil, while still holding the stick (make sure the oil is super hot so it starts to immediately cook, if not it will just drip off).
- Turn as necessary to brown all sides. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until all sides are a deep golden brown. Remove from hot oil and place on cookie rack over paper towels to drain grease. Repeat with all hot dogs.
- For the spicy mayo, add all the ingredients to a food processor scraping down the sides. Serve with corn dogs.