Vegan Jackfruit Taco Filling is a quick weeknight dinner recipe that is packed full of flavor. Jackfruit is cooked with chili powder, cumin, and oregano for a vegan taco filling that is irresistible! It's sure to be an instant hit at your dinner table.
Jackfruit Taco Filling [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Jackfruit Taco Filling [Vegan]
- 2 14-ounce cans young jackfruit, packed in water
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt, to taste
How to Prepare Jackfruit Taco Filling [Vegan]
- Drain the jackfruit and rinse under water to remove the salt. Cut the jackfruit pieces along the core. The fruit part will shred easily between your fingers. Shred and set this aside.
- Thinly slice the core off and then roughly chop and add to the pile with the shredded fruit.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add 1/4 cup water, onion and garlic. Saute until softened and lightly golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add jackfruit to the pan and the additional 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and continue cooking until most of the water is evaporated. Taste for seasoning and add salt and additional spice as necessary. Your jackfruit is ready to eat!
- Serve on gluten free tortillas with your favorite taco toppings. I like serving this jackfruit filling with mango salsa, shredded cabbage, cilantro, and brown rice.. Enjoy!
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.