This is the meatless pot pie of your dreams! Plunge your spoon into hot, flaky pastry crust and scoop out a creamy mixture of jackfruit, vegetables, and potatoes. Sounds dreamy, doesn’t it. You have to try making this meatless pot pie––your stomach will be so incredibly happy!
Jackfruit Pot Pie [Vegan]
For the Filling:
- 1 can of green jackfruit in water (not brine or syrup)
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk, divided
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup potatoes, diced into small chunks
- 3/4 cup carrots, cut into rings
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
For the Roux:
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- Reserved almond milk from the cooked down mixture plus excess to make up half a pint of liquid
For the Pastry:
To Make the Filling:
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Cut inner fibrous core away and discard.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on a medium heat and add the jackfruit and onion. Fry for 3-4 minutes or until the onions take on some color.
- Add the garlic, bay leaves, rosemary and 2 cups of almond milk. Turn the heat down to low and cover.
- Simmer for 25 minutes until the jackfruit has softened. Using two forks shred the jackfruit. Add the last half a cup of almond milk.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and peas. Turn the heat up to medium and simmer for another 15 minutes or until the vegetables are softened. Discard the bay leaves and rosemary.
- Remove the pan from the heat and using a slotted spoon scoop the vegetables and jackfruit into a large bowl. Strain the mixture through a sieve into a large jug. Reserve the infused almond milk. If the reserved milk doesn’t make up 1/2 pint of liquid, add extra almond milk.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Wipe the pan clean and heat the butter on a low heat. Once it’s all melted, stir in the flour.
- Using a whisk, whisk the flour and butter together until it forms a paste that moves away from the sides of the pan.
- Cook for another two minutes to cook off any raw flour taste.
- Pour in half of the almond milk and allow the mixture to boil. After 2 minutes of boiling, reduce the heat to low and then whisk thoroughly until the roux starts to thicken.
- Once all the lumps are gone add the other half of the almond milk. Whisk again thoroughly until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vegetables.
- Pour the mixture into a deep bottomed casserole dish. Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the puff pastry into a thin disk, around seven inches.
- Lay the puff pastry over the dish and press down the sides with a fork.
- Brush the top of the pastry with a bit of melted butter. Cut two little slits in the pastry.
- Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Total Calories: 1475 | Total Carbs: 149 g | Total Fat: 81 g | Total Protein: 33 g | Total Sodium: 1200 mg | Total Sugar: 18 g